BE INSPIRED - Tips for stargazing at home
Find inspiration under a blanket of stars
There’s nothing more awe-inspiring than a night under the stars and no better time than summer to stare up into the cosmos. The secret is great planning, so follow our ‘checklist for stargazing at home’ if you’re looking for a night with a sprinkle of wonder.
1. Check the weather! We all know how unpredictable the British weather can be, but it is the most important factor when it comes to stargazing.
2. Look for a clear night before you head outside and have a back up plan in place if cloud or rain is forecast.
3. Another key ingredient is the phase of the moon and the ideal time to stargaze is before it becomes too bright and full.
4. Set the scene by laying out deck chairs or an oversized picnic mat and pile it high with cosy pillows and blankets.
5. Hang soft lanterns in the trees, or go all out with moon and star-shaped balloons. Just don’t forget to turn off any big bright lights that will take the shine off the starlight!
6. Have your favourite playlists, snacks and drinks at the ready - strawberries and ice cream are the perfect for a warm summer night.
7. You can also download one of the many apps available, or go old-school with a map of the stars if you want to know exactly what you’re looking up at.
8. But, remember that stargazing is something anyone can do - all you really need to do is look up, take it all in and enjoy the moment together.